[llvm-foundation] Requesting licensing advice on ARM SVE headers

Omair Javaid via llvm-foundation llvm-foundation at lists.llvm.org
Tue Apr 21 04:17:50 PDT 2020

Hi

I am working to implement ARM SVE register access support in LLDB for Linux
based operating systems.

In order to access SVE registers via ptrace Linux provides macros
implemented here:
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/arch/arm64/include/uapi/asm/ptrace.h
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/arch/arm64/include/uapi/asm/sve_context.h

These macros are pulled into aarch64-linux-gnu/include/asm/ptrace.h if we
have aarch64-linux-gnu cross compiler installed on ubuntu 18.04. In cases
where these headers are not available we have to manually include them into
our code. Just like gdb has done here:
https://sourceware.org/git/?p=binutils-gdb.git;a=blob;f=gdb/nat/aarch64-sve-linux-sigcontext.h

My patch posted here: https://reviews.llvm.org/D77047 also makes use of
similar strategy by including these macros in LLDB
under lldb/source/Plugins/Process/Linux/LinuxPTraceDefines_arm64sve.h
https://reviews.llvm.org/differential/changeset/?ref=1893998&whitespace=ignore-most

My question is about licensing issues around including this piece of patch
into llvm mono repo. These macros are provided by linux kernel for the use
of its client applications and are included when LLDB is compiled with
#include <ptrace.h>. Only change we have here is that we are shipping this
code as part of LLDB in case linux headers on a particular system do not
yet support these macos.

Please provide your opinion on licensing validity of this code.

Thanks!

--
Omair Javaid
www.linaro.org