[llvm-foundation] LLVM Infrastructure

Renato Golin via llvm-foundation llvm-foundation at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 20 06:34:57 PDT 2016

On 20 May 2016 at 14:13, Alex Bradbury <asb at asbradbury.org> wrote:
> For what it's worth, the 2016 LLVM Foundation budget does have $4750
> for AWS costs http://llvm.org/foundation/documents/other/2016-LLVMFoundation-Outlook-Budget.pdf
> though it's not totally clear how much of the current infrastructure
> that covers. Thanks to the Foundation for publishing that document,
> it's a great move for transparency.

Indeed, it is. But not all can be covered in such a short document.
For instance, it states:

"Last year, we moved the LLVM mailing lists to a new email server. We
will finish up the infrastructure changes by moving all LLVM services.
A full review will be done to address any outstanding infrastructure
concerns from the community."

I'm just trying to have the "full review" somewhere public.

> Chris, I think Renato was trying to engage in the process referred to
> on page 2 of the budget and plans document. I know when I ask a small,
> overworked team about something I'm tempted to put in a lot of detail
> to be clear I'm interested in contributing to the process rather than
> just hassling for a status update. I can't see in to Renato's mind,
> but this sort of thinking may well motivate sections A-Z of Renato's
> email :)

Spot-on. :)

> It would be helpful to know how Foundation Board members see the split
> between llvm-dev vs the llvm-foundation list working. My assumption
> would be that dev-facing changes (e.g. a move to github or a change in
> development process) make most sense on llvm-dev, while discussions of
> one cloud vs another or whether a server is paid for or hosting is
> donated by a company (i.e. how a service is provided) may make more
> sense on llvm-foundation. Does that match your understanding?

+1.

cheers,
--renato