[llvm-foundation] Voting

Hal Finkel via llvm-foundation llvm-foundation at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 29 12:46:50 PDT 2016

----- Original Message -----

I disagree, and I think this highlights the issue. I suspect that, if we actually took all of the active participants in the LLVM community and forced them to vote (even if that included an option to abstain), we might very well find that we had consensus on the code-of-conduct issues. You can't determine consensus by counting emails on the mailing list, it is just not accurate. There are practical constraints and social disincentives to sending "voting" emails. Some people will send a "+1" on some issues, but many will not. To determine consensus, we need to vote (either directly or via representatives/proxies).

The other point about voting, which is not to be overlooked, is that Pareto optimal is neither, in general, globally optimal nor strategically wise. This is one reason why leadership is important.

 -Hal

--
Hal Finkel
Assistant Computational Scientist