[llvm-foundation] Voting

Hal Finkel via llvm-foundation llvm-foundation at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 29 11:01:31 PDT 2016

----- Original Message -----

I'd like to second this. I don't think that we should focus on a direct-democracy model. Such systems work well only for small groups. Having accountable representatives and leaders is better. A smaller group of accountable decision makers can invest more time in understanding the issues and the alternatives in order to make an informed decision. Accountability can come from elections, from the risk of community fracturing, etc.

 -Hal

> Communities such as
> FreeBSD, Debian, and others obviously have rather more involved and
> fully defined decision procedures.
>
> To get an indicative view from the LLVM developer community, perhaps
> it would be good enough to set up a Google form inviting people to
> give their name, email, whether they have the commit bit, and their
> 'vote'. The resulting spreadsheet can then be easily analysed. I
> don't
> think there's a way to have the email validated in Google forms (i.e.
> send an email with a confirmation link), which would be be necessary
> to protect against someone theoretically entering false information -
> though in practice this may not be an issue.
>
> Best,
>
> Alex

Hal Finkel
Assistant Computational Scientist