[llvm-foundation] Voting

Renato Golin via llvm-foundation llvm-foundation at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 5 04:25:14 PDT 2016

It seems that the GitHub proposal is finally getting into shape, and
it'll be *a lot* simpler than I was expecting.

Now, it's time to start thinking about how we do the "voting". In
quotes because Tanya's suggestion of survey is a lot better than
simple voting, and folks seem to agree, so we should go with it.

Tanya,

I was thinking "radio" buttons with a few options and a field for
further notes on the reasons. The radio will help us identify raw
numbers, the reasons will help us identify the strength of each
individual choice.

I'm divided if we should have an "other" option, or just go with
"choose the closest option". I prefer the latter...

A draft of the form would be:

Name:
Email:
OSS Project/Company/University (if any):

How do you use LLVM? (choose the closest option)
1. I don't use LLVM, but am interested in its development.
2. I have used LLVM in a pet-project / academic work, but don't use it anymore.
3. I use LLVM on a pet-project / academic work.
4. I use LLVM for a production product / OSS project that we develop /
distribute.
5. LLVM is a major part of one or more products / projects, which
support a bigger product line / OSS distribution.
6. I am a core developer of LLVM, responsible for one or more parts of
the compiler / sub-projects (code owners, top committers,
infrastructure).

Please, expand on your usage, as accurate as you can, with links:
<text field>

How would moving to GitHub impact your usage of LLVM? (choose the
closest option)
1. I already use Git, little to no impact foreseen.
2. I use a mixture of Git and Svn, and some impact will be felt.
3. I use mostly Svn, so we'll have big impact on our productivity.
4. I cannot work with / don't want to move to Git.

If you chose 2~4, please explain your reasons here:
<text field>

The data could be potentially shared, raw, with the community (maybe
the text only upon request, in private communication), so respondents
are expected to not share any private information. Not sharing it
could potentially invalidate any decision taken based on the data and
lead to a fractured community. But companies that have secretive
products can be vague, and due to the nature of the LLVM community, we
should be sensitive to that when analysing the data and drawing
conclusions.

I'm wiling to write up the proposal and do the data analysis (use vs.
impact) and announce the result of the survey. Though, I don't know
what's the best way to do the survey (Google forms? SurveyMonkey?
something else?), and the Foundation's help would be nice. :)

cheers,
--renato