[llvm-foundation] [llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] [lldb-dev] Sequential ID Git hook

Renato Golin via llvm-foundation llvm-foundation at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 4 08:15:07 PDT 2016

On 4 July 2016 at 15:21, Bruce Hoult <bruce at hoult.org> wrote:
> What doesn't scale about tagging every commit?

Both Jim and Takumi have reported problems with thousands of tags.
Even though neither of them responded to your enquiries for additional
data, we can't assume there isn't any.

Furthermore, "git describe" seems to be the "mixed mode" I asked
about, and it's already in git since an old version, so I'm not sure
why we'd even need to create one tag per commit anyway.

People should be using Git for bisects, in which case it works out of
the box. The incremental version was mostly to tag the build with
something meaningful, which "git describe" is.

Even if you want to use the result of describe to bisect like SVN, it
works because our history is linear (and you can count the number of
commits between A and B, and even store a local list of the hashes in
between.

I really can't see why would we need to tag every commit.

cheers,
--renato