[llvm-foundation] [llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] [lldb-dev] Sequential ID Git hook

David Chisnall via llvm-foundation llvm-foundation at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 4 06:37:15 PDT 2016

On 4 Jul 2016, at 12:13, Renato Golin via llvm-foundation <llvm-foundation at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> And since tagging *every* commit doesn't scale for long ranges, and
> anything else will need scripting on the client side, I think we can
> get rid *completely* of any server side hook, and let the client side
> scripts deal with the output of "git describe".
>
> Or am I just too optimistic?

One of the nice features of GitHub is that it provides a download link to grab tarballs for any specific version.  These are easy to se with other workflows (for example, the FreeBSD ports collection has infrastructure for grabbing a release and building it).  It would be a shame if you needed a full git clone to get the revision information, as that would mean that anyone who built from a tarball would lose it.

David