[llvm-devmeeting] The proposal for Talks of uses of LLVM in academia or industry

Michael.Kang blackfin.kang at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 20:45:28 PDT 2014

I like to present the topic about full system simulator is constructed
by  LLVM. Now we
can run a complete Android system with LLVM JIT. Here's my proposal:

Name: Michael Kang
University: Tsinghua Univ
Title: Run Android with LLVM

Abstract:

We have employed the JIT ability of LLVM as our dynamic translation
engine of full system simulator. The project translates the ARM
instruction to IR of LLVM and then use LLVM JIT to translate and run
these IRs. By applying various optimization pass in LLVM and some
smart policy, we have gotten the huge performance improvement of
instruction execution. Now a complete android system can run on such
full system simulator supported by LLVM. Even you can play Angrybird
application smoothly on the simulator.
Comparing to the official Android simulator which build on Qemu, we
found there is some performance incremental for most of android
application.

Source code: http://sourceforge.net/projects/skyeye/?source=directory

thanks,
MK