[llvm-dev] LLVM Discourse migration: goals justify means?

Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 28 11:45:50 PST 2022

On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 10:48 AM Krzysztof Parzyszek via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Certainly, with Bugzilla->GitHub, it was widely communicated that we
> planned to migrate, at some point, and there was consensus that this was a
> good idea. Yet, it was still a surprise that it was going to happen
> imminently, with no prior review from (or communcation with) the community
> as to the *actual final plan*.
>

> I think the Working Groups should have a degree of autonomy in working out
> the details of a plan, especially because the details can change due to
> unexpected situations, or changing circumstances.  As a matter of fact, I
> think that a part of the purpose of a WG is to be the delegate that
> executes an idea that the community has accepted.

I still believe that even after an idea has been accepted, while whoever is
working on the plan should have autonomy in how they want to achieve it,
the final result  (that is the "what" instead of the "how") is important to
be publicly presented before final deployment. Basically there should be a
step to review that the actual deployment we end up with matches the
current workflow of folks or that there are clear migration steps.