[llvm-dev] LLVM Discourse migration: goals justify means?

Tom Stellard via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 27 13:03:51 PST 2022

On 1/27/22 12:35, Philip Reames via llvm-dev wrote:

> On 1/27/22 09:31, Tanya Lattner via llvm-dev wrote:
>>> In a broader sense, I want to part with this observation. In my experience, large projects develop a kind of "in-group", a set of people who need to be interacted with to get things done in the project. Of the projects I've worked with, LLVM has had the most opaque "in-group", in the sense that it's difficult for a beginner (or even more experienced contributors) to figure out who you need to get to review a patch, or when you've got enough agreement on an RFC to move forward with implementation. This is a bigger issue with LLVM in general, but the risk with respect to infrastructure in particular is that I am extremely worried that the LLVM infrastructure group is pushing away much or all of the "in-group", and that has incumbent risks for the future health of the project as a whole.
>> The Infrastructure Working group is open to anyone.
>
> Speaking as someone who joined the IWG, provided strongly negative feedback on the proposed discourse transitions, and then resigned because I didn't want my name associated with an effort likely to be so disastrous, I strongly question this assertion.
>
> "We value your feedback" is pretty meaningless when that feedback is ignored.

It's hard to know how to respond to this without the specifics, but I would
say that in general, choosing to do something different does not mean that
feedback was ignored.

 From my perspective, I feel like a lot of the frustration around some
of these infrastructure projects could be avoided by improved communication
to the community about the status of these projects.  This is something
the Board[1] has discussed in the past and we've been trying to recruit
people from the iwg[2] to help with this.  If anyone wants to help with
this, please start a thread on the IWG Discourse[3] category.

-Tom

[1] https://foundation.llvm.org/documents/minutes/2021-11-03-Meeting-Minutes.pdf
[2] https://groups.google.com/u/1/a/llvm.org/g/iwg/c/NcNR5hWSo9c
[3] https://llvm.discourse.group/c/infrastructure/iwg/42