[llvm-dev] LLVM Discourse migration: goals justify means?

Joshua Cranmer via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 27 11:25:54 PST 2022

On 1/27/2022 12:31 PM, Tanya Lattner wrote:
> It is really easy to throw out accusations like it should have been really easy to estimate and that we should have known. There were steps in the process that did change along the way even when we had laid out a plan. Things happen that are outside our control.
>
> I’m sorry that a transition did not go absolutely perfectly. Obviously, we want things to go smooth. Many of the things we have done (ie bugzilla migration of that size) have not been done before and we may be the first people to do them. There will always be some things that pop up.

I am well-acquainted with things that ought to be easy turning out to be
extraordinarily difficult (this was my baptism in open source, after
all); when I'm commenting that it seems like it *ought* to be simple,
I'm trying to understand why it *isn't*. I know that you, and the others
working on this, are intelligent people who are unlikely to miss obvious
things, so if something like that seems to be the case... I want to
understand *why*.

--
Joshua Cranmer