[llvm-dev] LLVM Discourse migration: goals justify means?

via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 27 10:10:40 PST 2022

> Paul,
>
> I have spent a great deal of time researching how nonprofits are
> structured and I am well versed in the different ways. There are many open
> source nonprofits that are member based and many that are not. Many that
> are member based are actually 501c6 which is very different. One way is
> not the best way for all. Given the role of this board, we felt that this
> was the best approach.

I'm glad to know you've done research.  All I can say is, when I go to a
software engineering conference and see a paper presentation about the
organization of open-source communities, I have invariably walked away
thinking "LLVM does not work like that."  And so I keep asking why.

It might well be that the structure needs to evolve, as the community
has grown a lot in the past 8 years.

> I have also answered questions about the board election process and we
> have tried to make the process as transparent as we can but also
> maintaining confidentiality of those who applied but did not get selected
> (we could change that).

I think it should. The board really should not be electing new members
based on confidential information, and it's hard to imagine a good
reason to keep the list of candidates secret.

Thanks!
--paulr