[llvm-dev] LLVM Discourse migration: goals justify means?

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 27 08:58:31 PST 2022

On Thu, 27 Jan 2022 at 16:43, Joshua Cranmer via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> More recently, we had
> the move from Bugzilla to Github issues. The discussion period was
> similarly long, but the migration was far from smooth: the final
> notification (including things contributors needed to do) seemed to come
> out of nowhere, with short timetables, and over a holiday week, and the
> actual conversion process ran into several technical issues (to be fair,
> many of them were not easily foreseeable).

Let me just clarify a point here... The bugzilla migration process was
*very* hard.

All those years waiting for the majority of people in the community were
actually spent by Anton K painstakingly solving every issue that was raised.

The number of back and forth emails between Anton and Github people and the
level of support he got from them is appalling.

Most people probably had forgotten about it all when Anton finally broke
through and saw the light at the end of the tunnel.

So, while I agree with everything else you said above and below, the
bugzilla migration wasn't quite like the others.

What that means to the Phab->PR move is left as an exercise to the reader...