[llvm-dev] LLVM Discourse migration: goals justify means?

James Y Knight via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 27 07:45:43 PST 2022

On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 7:02 PM Tom Stellard via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> This is relevant now because "Mailing List Mode" was recently disabled for
> everyone on Discourse. This was necessary because we were running up
> against
> the daily email limits for free accounts on Discourse.

!!!!!!!!!!

Finding out that all my notifications have been disabled right before the
planned transition date is EXTREMELY unwelcome news!

In anticipation of the transition, I had already gotten everything setup
for myself -- with mailing list mode enabled, email filters to sort things
the way I like, etc.

To hear that option is now gone and I need to figure out a new workflow,
and furthermore, that apparently the last N days of conversations are now
missing for me (since, the outgoing emails were disabled with no warning!),
is very disheartening.

Whether or not the "Mailing List Mode" feature is available it is
> not recommended that people use this feature.  It is recommended
> that instead users watch only the categories that they are interested
> in.  This will help reduce your own email load and also reduce the load
> on the Discourse server (number of emails per month is limited based on
> the organization's subscription type).

Email is critical -- for me, for others. If discourse is not viable (or,
not economically viable) when too many people *_want_* to be emailed "too
much", then I don't think this transition as planned should be undertaken.
Maybe a self-hosted discourse instance, or something else...