[llvm-dev] Alignment analysis

Thomas Raoux via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 25 08:33:50 PST 2022

Hi Johannes,

It is not really the `sext` that is confusing the analysis, the
problem is that the computeKnownBits will only go one level up after
the phi, so if there is any instruction in between the `shl` and the
phi the analysis will fail.

Here is the same example with long int and an extra `add` in between:
https://godbolt.org/z/r8asbaWWc

This is done on purpose due to this limitation:
```
// Recurse, but cap the recursion to one level, because we don't
// want to waste time spinning around in loops.
computeKnownBits(IncValue, Known2, MaxAnalysisRecursionDepth - 1, RecQ);
```
https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/d2e8fb331835fcc565929720781a5fd64e66fc17/llvm/lib/Analysis/ValueTracking.cpp#L1548

--
Thomas