[llvm-dev] Unwanted execution of pass

Arthur Eubanks via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 19 14:14:15 PST 2022

That would be due to https://reviews.llvm.org/D99707.
I'm not sure how that pipeline worked for you before. There should be a
separation between the optimization and the codegen pipeline or else we'd
be doing codegen passes while IR passes will run later. For an example see
https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/a767ae2c5ce7615c188baabd3b6a52bb880de234/clang/lib/CodeGen/BackendUtil.cpp#L986
where the two pipelines are in two separate pass managers.

With the new pass manager, the two pipelines can't be in the same pass
manager which makes the problem go away (and the new pass manager makes
this sort of nesting explicit and thus harder to mess up even if we ever do
get the codegen pipeline to run on the new pass manager).