[llvm-dev] [EXTERNAL] Re: Responsibilities of a buildbot owner

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 13 14:36:38 PST 2022

On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 2:08 PM <paul.robinson at sony.com> wrote:

> Stella wrote:
> > The few times I’ve made commits to llvm, for example, I’ve always
> > gotten at least one email about a break that was unrelated to my
> > change (because my changes are perfect, thank you very much). This
> > larger problem of build breaks is much harder to address than flaky
> > bots or tests, but I think would improve the health of llvm &
> > friends significantly more (and in the meantime, we could tolerate
> > some “flakiness”).
>
> This is consistent enough that if I don’t get a bot email, I wonder
> if my “git push” failed. 😊 The project very much needs a functioning
> pre-commit sanity check of some kind.  What we have now is Phabricator
> running something that basically always fails, making it largely
> useless.  But that is straying from the topic of bot-owner
> responsibilities.
>
> On that topic, however, I would like to request a way to actively get
> help with a bot failure. A little while ago I tried to commit a patch
> to lit, which after a couple of tries, passed everywhere except *one*
> test on *one* bot.  I asked for help on llvm-dev and got no reply.
> The patch is reverted and remains on a back burner because I couldn’t
> get help.  At some point I will try again, but I suspect there won’t
> be a way to solve the problem without the active help of the bot owner,
> whoever it is.  How do you find a bot owner, anyway?

You should be able to get the email address for the buildbot owner & email
them directly (probably good to also include llvm-dev, though (with the
move to discourse - maybe you can tag the buildbot owner in a post? be good
to make sure all buildbot owners are on discourse and readily identifiable
from the buildbot owner info in buildbot)). If they don't reply/help after
some time I think it's reasonable to consider the configuration
unsupported/silence the buildbot, etc.