[llvm-dev] [EXTERNAL] Re: Responsibilities of a buildbot owner

Pavel Labath via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 11 10:31:03 PST 2022

On 11/01/2022 18:59, Stella Stamenova wrote:
> The windows lldb bot is running on a Hyper-V virtual machine, so it would make sense that if watchpoints don't work correctly in virtual environments they would be failing there. On the rare occasion I've had to run these tests locally, I have also seen them fail though, so that's not the only source of issues.
>
> Since I disabled the couple of tests yesterday, there's only one watchpoint test that is still failing randomly. One option would be to disable just this test and let the remaining few watchpoint tests continue to run on Windows (I prefer this option since some tests would continue to run). Alternatively, all the watchpoint tests can be skipped via the category flag, but in that case, I'd like us to undo the individual skips.

For better or worse, you're currently the most (only?) interested person
in keeping windows host support working, so I think you can manage the
windows skips/fails in any way you see fit. The rest of us are mostly
interested in having green builds. :)

Hyper-V is _not_ among the virtualization systems I've tried using with
lldb, so I cannot conclusively say anything about it (though I still
have my doubts).

> I did notice while going through the watchpoint tests to see what is still enabled on Windows, that the same watchpoint tests that are disabled/failing on Windows are disabled on multiple other platforms as well. The tests passing on Windows are also the ones that are not disabled on other platforms. A third option would be to add a separate category for the watchpoint tests that don't run correctly everywhere and use that to disable them instead. This would be a more generic way to disable the tests instead of adding multiple `skipIf` statements to each test.

On non-x86 architectures, watchpoints tend to be available only on
special (developer) hardware or similar (x86 is the outlier in having
universal support), which is why these tests tend to accumulate various
annotations. However, I don't think we need to solve this problem (how
to skip the tests "nicely") here...

pl