[llvm-dev] How to pass the current function name at runtime without additional Global variables?

Wang, Phoebe via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jan 9 18:58:55 PST 2022

Some wild thoughts. Even release built binaries contain the information of function name (unless you stripe them), we always see them in a crash backtrace. So we may be able to get the function name by the function address with the aid of debug API. Or write one ourselves. Then we can insert the call to this function before the external call in a pass. For example:

extern int bar(char *, int);

int foo(int a) {
    char *name = __get_name(bar); // This is what we are inserting
    return bar(name, a);
}

Ps: Just realize the calling functions are external. Not sure how to do with SOs, static link library should be workable.

Thanks
Phoebe