[llvm-dev] Public review for RISC-V psABI v1.0-rc1

Madhur Amilkanthwar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jan 9 04:20:56 PST 2022

My 2c:
1. XLEN should be defined somewhere for the sake of completeness. The first
occurrence of this word happens in "Integer Calling Convention" and the
reader has no clue of what it means. If the reader is supposed to read some
other manual (e.g. ISA manual) then it should be mentioned in a new
prerequisites section.

2. I feel the allocation of aggregates to registers/stack needs to be
explained in detail in "Integer Register Convention". Specifically,
"if only one register is available, the first half is passed in a register
and the second half is passed on the stack."
a. How is the first "half" supposed to be calculated? Size of an aggregate
need not be an even value.
b. As one iterates over the fields of the aggregate, the fields will get
allocated to the bits in the available register. What if at a given field
there is no space in the current register? Would ABI allocate the field to
the next register?

3. Isn't there a need to standardize stack frame layout?