[llvm-dev] Responsibilities of a buildbot owner

Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Jan 8 17:14:48 PST 2022

Hi,

First: thanks a lot Stella for being a bot owner and providing valuable
resources to the community. The sequence of even is really unfortunate
here, and thank you for bringing it up to everyone's attention, let's try
to improve our processes.

On Sat, Jan 8, 2022 at 1:01 PM Philip Reames via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> [...]
> In the first wave of that, I emailed a couple of bot owners about things
> which seemed like false positives.
>
> At the time, I thought it was the bot owners responsibility to not be
> testing a flaky configuration.  I got a bit of push back on that from a
> couple sources - Stella was one - and put that question on hold.  This
> thread is a great opportunity to decide what our policy actually is, and
> document it.
>
> In the meantime, I've been working with Galina to document existing
> practice where we could, and to try to identify best practices on setting
> up bots.  These changes have been posted publicly, and reviewed through the
> normal process.  We've been deliberately trying to stick to
> non-controversial stuff as we got the docs improved.  I've been actively
> reaching out to bot owners to gather feedback in this process, but Stella
> had not, yet, been one.
>
> Separately, this week I noticed a bot which was repeatedly toggling
> between red and green.  I forget the exact ratio, but in the recent build
> history, there were multiple transitions, seemingly unrelated to the
> changes being committed.  I emailed Galina asking her to address, and she
> removed the buildbot until it could be moved to the staging buildmaster,
> addressed, and then restored.  I left Stella off the initial email.  Sorry
> about that, no ill intent, just written in a hurry.
>
> Now, transitioning into a bit of policy discussion...
>
> From my conversations with existing bot owners, there is a general
> agreement that bots should only be notifying the community if they are
> stable enough.  There's honest disagreement on what the bar for stable
> enough is, and disagreement about exactly whose responsibility addressing
> new instability is.  (To be clear, I'd separate instability from a clear
> deterministic breakage caused by a commit - we have a lot more agreement on
> that.)
>
> My personal take is that for a bot to be publicly notifying, "someone"
> needs to take the responsibility to backstop the normal revert to green
> process.  This "someone" can be developers who work in a particular area,
> the bot owner, or some combination thereof.  I view the responsibility of
> the bot config owner as being the person responsible for making sure that
> backstopping is happening.  Not necessarily by doing it themselves, but by
> having the contacts with developers who can, and following up when the
> normal flow is not working.
>
> In this particular example, we appear to have a bunch of flaky lldb
> tests.  I personally know absolutely nothing about lldb.  I have no idea
> whether the tests are badly designed, the system they're being run on isn't
> yet supported by lldb, or if there's some recent code bug introduced which
> causes the failure.  "Someone" needs to take the responsibility of figuring
> that out, and in the meantime spaming developers with inactionable failure

I generally agree with the overall sentiment. I would add that something
worse differentiating is that the source of flakiness can be coming from
the bot itself (flaky hardware / fragile setup), or from the test/codebase
itself (a flaky bot may just be a deterministic ASAN failure).
Of course from Philip's point of view it does not matter: the effect on the
developer is similar, we get undesirable and unactionable notifications.
>From the maintenance flow however, it matters in that the "someone" who has
to take responsibility is often not the same group of folks.
Also when encountering flaky tests, the best action may not be to disable
the bot itself but instead to disable the test itself! (and file a bug
against the test owner...).

One more dimension that seems to surface here may be different practices or
expectations across subprojects, for example here the LLDB folks may be
used to having some flaky tests, but they trigger on changes to LLVM
itself, where we may not expect any flakiness (or so).

> For context, the bot was disabled until it could be moved to the staging
> buildmaster.  Moving to staging is required (currently) to disable
> developer notification.  In the email from Galina, it seems clear that the
> bot would be fine to move back to production once the issue was triaged.
> This seems entirely reasonable to me.

Something quite annoying with staging is that it does not have (as far as I
know) a way to continue to notify the buildbot owner. I don't really care
about staging vs prod as much as having a mode to just "not notify the
blame list" / "only notify the owner".

--
Mehdi