[llvm-dev] Automating the releases a bit better.

Tom Stellard via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Jan 8 00:31:04 PST 2022

On 4/26/21 23:20, Tobias Hieta wrote:
> Hello,

Restarting this dicussion.

> Going to ping this again. To me there seems to be a short term fix
> (reducing the overhead for the release manager) and the longer term
> fix where we have a CI building the releases.
>
> For the short-term it seems like the easiest solution is that we
> switch from uploading to SFTP and just upload to github releases
> directly.

I would like to propose a variation of this idea:

I think we should have testers upload directly to GitHub, but keep the
rest of the process the same as now.  So testers will still email me a
sha512 hash of the binaries they upload, and I'll still sign the binaries.

This means there will be a period of time where we have unsigned binaries on
the release page, but I think this is OK.  People who care about the signatures
can just wait until I sign the packages, and people who don't care about the
signatures will get there builds faster.

For some added validation, we can create a release-testers team and automatically
delete any uploads from anyone not on that team.

- Tom