[llvm-dev] AttrBuilder API change

James Y Knight via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 6 09:53:50 PST 2022

On Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 12:05 PM Philip Reames via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> +1 from me.
>
> As an aside, has anyone looked at memoizing the strings used for string
> attributes?  In practice, there tend to be a very small number of unique
> strings which are heavily reused.  If we had a string table for the
> attribute strings, we could hold the index in the Attribute itself, and
> reduce storage fairly significantly. (Well, assuming we implemented the
> small string optimization to handle the case where the attribute name is
> shorted than the index size.)

While folks are fiddling with attributes -- maybe someone would like to
consider allowing non-string-keyed attributes to have string values? It's
always seemed quite odd that core (not target-specific) attributes need to
use string keys only because they take a string value.