[llvm-dev] Understanding gwp-asan

Mitch Phillips via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 4 12:28:51 PST 2022

Hi Shuai,

We use GWP-ASan on Chromium and Android because (low chance of catching a
bug) * (many many devices) == (good chance of catching all bugs
eventually). We consider GWP-ASan to be a bug detection tool, not a
security mitigation.

For software with lower user count, the best bet is to turn the sampling
rate up until you see an unacceptable performance overhead. When you're
raising the sampling rate, you should add some logging to check that the
pool isn't being constantly exhausted, in which case you'll need to bump
MaxSimultaneousAllocations (generally, raising them inversely linearly is a
conservative approach). So, SampleRate = 5000, MSA = 16 becomes SampleRate
= 2500, MSA = 32, etc.

Don't forget to consider how any crash reports from users would get back to
you :).

Hope that helps,
Mitch.