[llvm-dev] unified debug information despite function/data sections flags

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 30 11:04:52 PDT 2021

Yeah, grouping things would help, for sure. You might still want to treat
the abstract subprogram as removable (though it'd come at a cost - maybe a
tuning parameter depending on how much object size/linker relocation
handling you want to pay for smaller DWARF). Also DWARFv5 indexed strings
would probably make it harder to strip dead strings without a DWARF-aware
tool, since there wouldn't be direct relocations to the strings anymore
(well, they will be in the .debug_str_offsets section - so you'd have to
figure out how to prune /that/ to then prune the others, etc... which might
make it larger, because then each set of strings referenced by a chunk of a
CU would have to have its own string indexes/couldn't share them with
others, maybe? Or maybe could share them with even more relocations... )