[llvm-dev] unified debug information despite function/data sections flags

Youssefi, Anna via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 29 12:50:27 PDT 2021

Hi,

I was wondering if there are any plans to separate debug information into distinct sections accordingly when the compiler flags -ffunction-sections and/or -fdata-sections are used.  If an unreferenced function is removed from the link, it makes no sense for its associated debug information to still be included.  As we rely on the debug information for stack usage analysis, we wind up displaying stack usage statistics for unreferenced functions that were eliminated from the link if debug information for any other referenced functions is in the same debug section.  It seems that others have run into this problem previously so I wanted to check whether there are any plans to change the behavior.

Thanks,
Anna Youssefi
Texas Instruments, Codegen group