[llvm-dev] [RFC] Debug sections for hot-patching LLD's ELF output

bd1976 llvm via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 20 18:05:57 PDT 2021

As mentioned Sony would like LLD to optionally emit sections that describe
the GOT and PLT.

The proposed binary format of these sections is as follows:

.debug_lld_got
==============

The .debug_lld_got section contains a GOT description. The GOT description
begins with a header composed of the following fields:

length (uleb)
- The length in bytes of the GOT description not including the length field
itself.
- This allows for padding to be added to the section, useful for purposes
such as slop for incremental linking.
- The value cannot exceed Elf_Off.

version (uleb)
- The version of the description information.
- Currently, 0.
- The value cannot exceed Elf_Word.

The header is then followed by list of entry descriptions.
Each entry description describes the GOT entry with the same index.
Each entry description starts with three ulebs:

- The first uleb gives the number of ulebs used by this description (so
that the description can be skipped if the category isn't understood). The
value cannot exceed Elf_Word.
- The second uleb gives the number of GOT slots* used by this GOT entry.
The value cannot exceed Elf_Word.
- The third uleb encodes the category of the GOT entry. The value cannot
exceed Elf_Word.

* Except for GOT_CAT_PADDING entries where this field gives the number of
bytes of padding (the value cannot exceed Elf_Off) not the number of GOT
slots.

A category encoding can specify multiple associated arguments. Argument
interpretation is specified by the encoding. If an encoding requires
arguments, the bytes for those follow the bytes for the second uleb in the
entry description.

Categories are:

Encoding                             Argument *      Size (slots)
 Notes
GOT_CAT_UNKNOWN                      none            1
Unknown area of the GOT.
GOT_CAT_PADDING                      none            <variable>
 Padding between GOT regions.
                                                                        The
size field gives the padding size in bytes not the number of GOT slots.
GOT_CAT_GOTPLT_HEADER                none            <target dependent> The
.got.plt header. x86_64 size = 3 slots.
GOT_CAT_GOT                          symbol index    1
Normal entry for a symbol.
GOT_CAT_PLTGOT                       symbol index    1
.got.plt Entry for a PLT reference to a symbol.
GOT_CAT_IGOTPLT                      symbol index    1
.igot.plt entry for an ifunc.
GOT_CAT_IGOTCANONICAL                symbol index    1                  GOT
entry for canonical PLT entry for non-preemptible ifunc case.
GOT_CAT_TLSDESC                      symbol index    2                  GOT
entry for a TLSDESC slot.
GOT_CAT_TLS_GD                       symbol index    2                  GOT
entry for a GD TLS reference.
GOT_CAT_TLS_LD                       none            2                  GOT
entry for tls_index structure for an LD TLS reference.
GOT_CAT_TLS_IE                       symbol index    1                  GOT
entry for a IE TLS reference.
GOT_CAT_PPC64_V2_ABI_TLSLD_GOT_OFF   symbol index    1
PPC64 specific TLSLD GOT slot.

.debug_lld_plt
==============

The .debug_lld_plt section contains a PLT description. A PLT description
begins with a generic header composed of the following 3 ulebs:

length (uleb)
- The length in bytes of this PLT description not including the length
field itself.
- This allows for padding to be added to the section, useful for purposes
such as slop for incremental linking.
- The value cannot exceed Elf_Off.

version (uleb)
- The version of this description information. Currently, 0. The value
cannot exceed Elf_Word.

type (uleb)
- The type of the PLT being described.
- This affects the interpretation of the remaining description.
- Currently, only PLT_FIXSZ_ENT(value = 0) is defined for describing PLT
sections composed of a header and N fixed size entries.
- The value cannot exceed Elf_Word; although, currently as there is only
one value specified a smaller representation is sufficient.

PLT_FIXSZ_ENT interpretation
Following the generic header is the PLT_FIXSZ_ENT description header which
is composed of the following 2 ulebs:

PLT header size (uleb)
- The size of the PLT header in bytes.
- The value cannot exceed Elf_Off.

PLT entry size (uleb)
- The size of a PLT entry.
- The value cannot exceed Elf_Word.

The header is then followed by list of entry descriptions.
- Each entry description is a single uleb and describes the PLT entry with
the same index.
- The value of the uleb gives the index of the associated GOT entry.
- The value cannot exceed Elf_Off.

In addition to allowing hot-patching tools to work with the GOT and PLT the
information in these sections is of use to any tool that needs to display
information on the GOT and PLT sections. For example, debuggers and binary
tools synthesize labels of the form <symbol>@plt to label the PLT sections.
The information in these sections could be used to simplify such tasks.