[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] Should isnan be optimized out in fast-math mode?

Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 20 10:03:32 PDT 2021

On Mon, Sep 20, 2021 at 1:23 AM Serge Pavlov <sepavloff at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 11:17 PM Mehdi AMINI <joker.eph at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 11:19 PM Serge Pavlov <sepavloff at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> GCC allows it by using `#pragma GCC optimize()`, but clang does not
>>> support it. No suitable function attribute exists for that.
>>>

>> Right, I know that clang does not support it, but it could :)
>> So since we're looking at what provides the best user-experience: isn't
>> that it? Shouldn't we look into providing this level of granularity?
>> (whether function-level or finer grain)
>>

> It could mitigate the problem if it were implemented. A user who needs to
> handle NaNs in -ffinite-math-only compilation and writes the code from
> scratch could use this facility to get things working. I also think such
> pragma, implemented with enough degree of flexibility, could be useful
> irrespective of this topic.
>
> However, in general it does not solve the problem. The most important
> issue which remains unaddressed is inconsistency of the implementation.
>
> The handling of `isnan` in -ffinite-math-only by clang is not consistent
> because:

Some counter points to not be one-sided:

- It differs from what other compilers do. Namely MSVC and Intel compiler
> do not throw away `isnan` in this mode: https://godbolt.org/z/qTaz47qhP.

Right but we're not consistent with other compilers in our handling of
fast-math in general: the numerical result of a floating point program will
be potentially vastly different with fast-math enabled on different
compilers.

> - It depends on optimization options. With -O2 the check is removed but
> with -O0 remains: https://godbolt.org/z/cjYePv7s7. Other options also can
> affect the behavior, for example with `-ffp-model=strict` the check is
> generated irrespective of the optimization mode (see the same link).

Right, but that seems by design to me: being able to optimize is actually
the point!
There are other example of such behavior:

a = *p
if (!p) {
  printf("p is null");
}

The check will also be eliminated with O2 and not O0 here.

> - It is inconsistent with libc implementations. If `isnan` is provided by
> libc, it is a real check, but the compiler may drop it.

I don't really understand the argument of comparison with libc to be
honest. Everything the compiler optimizes may make it different from a
library implementation under this kind of special flags. The very reason
for these flags to exist is actually to allow the compiler to do this!

It would not be an issue if `isnan` removal were just an optimization. It
> however changes semantics in the presence of NaNs, so such removal can
> break user code.
>
> In the typical use case a user puts a call to `isnan` to ensure no
> operations on NaNs occur. The call can also be present in some header that
> implements some functionality for the general case. It may work because
> `isnan` is provided by libc. Later on when configuration changes or libc is
> updated the code may be broken, because implementation of `isnan` changes,
> as it happened after https://reviews.llvm.org/D69806.
>
> If clang kept calls to `isnan`, it would be consistent with ICC and MSVC
> and with all libc implementations. The behavior would be different from
> gcc, but clang would be on the winning side, because the number of programs
> that work with clang would be larger.
>
> Also if we agree that NaNs can appear in the code compiled with
> -ffinite-math-only, there must be a way to check if a number is a NaN.

I'd find it unfortunate though that in a mode which specifies that the
result of floating point arithmetic can't have NaN we can't constant fold
isnan(x) where x is a potentially complex expression (think that x could be
dead-code if not for the isnan).

Best,

--
Mehdi