[llvm-dev] [SelectionDAG][RISCV] i32 type illegal in 64-bit target is really a good design in RISCV?

Zeson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 16 21:12:39 PDT 2021

Hi, Craig.

I prefer the what Mips64 does. Firstly, if I understand correctly the RV spec requires the sign-extended result in GPR for i32 type every moment and every instruction. I guess the requirement speeds up or simplify the hardware implementation which assume the input data of every single instruction is sign-extended. So I think i64->i32 truncate emitted as a sext.w is not tricky but normal. Secondly, could we just have GPR for both i32 and i64 without subregister GPR32? No subregisters created in td file.

For now, there are several effects around the codebase to handle the issue instead of handling in one single place or pass. And there is an important part is custom instruction in RISCV target. I am handling custom arithmetic instructions which also involve in W version issue. Since the change will make big affect, anyone else could give some advice and comments?

Regards,
Zeson