[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] Should isnan be optimized out in fast-math mode?

Chris Tetreault via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 10 12:39:46 PDT 2021

The problem is that math code is often templated, so `template <typename T>  MyMatrixT<T> safeMul(const MyMatrixT<T> & lhs …` is going to be in a header.

Regardless, my position isn’t “there is no NaN”. My position is “you cannot count on operations on NaN working”. Just like sometimes you can dereference a pointer after it is free’d, but you should not count on this working. If the compiler I’m using emits a call to a library function instead of providing a macro, and this results in isnan actually computing if x is NaN, then so be it. But if the compiler provides a macro that evaluates to false under fast-math, then the two loops in safeMul can be optimized. Either way, as a developer, I know that I turned on fast-math, and I write code accordingly.

I think working around these sorts of issues is something that C and C++ developers are used to. These sorts of “inconsistent” between compilers behaviors is something we accept because we know it comes with improved performance. In this case, the fix is easy, so I don’t think this corner case is worth supporting. Especially when the fix is also just one line:

```
#define myIsNan(x) (reinterpret_cast<uint32_t>(x) == THE_BIT_PATTERN_OF_MY_SENTINEL_NAN)
```

I would probably call the macro something else like `shouldProcessElement`.

Thanks,
   Chris Tetreault