[llvm-dev] Supporting LLVM_BUILD_LLVM_DYLIB on Windows

Chris Tetreault via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 9 10:02:06 PDT 2021

Let me start by saying that I think this is important work that you are undertaking. This is a huge task, and it you pull it off you will be a hero. Do you have any notion of how big the distribution would be on Windows with the dll build? 2 GB is ridiculous!

At a previous workplace, we had a similar problem, and we solved it in much the way that you propose: by having a magic export macro that we decorated all external symbols with. The main problem was the human factor: there are those that don’t develop on Windows (we didn’t disable exporting everything by default on Linux and Mac), and it was a constant battle to get these developers to use the export macro. If we disable exporting everything on not-Windows, that will at least reduce the amount of people that fail to use the macro. (as they will get linker failures and presumably the build bots will complain) However, there will always be a contingent of people saying things like “This problem that you are solving doesn’t affect me, and now I a am being asked to do extra work! I don’t like this!” My personal opinion is that:

```
class LLVM_SUPPORT_ABI Foo { …
```

… is not materially harder to write than:

```
class Foo { …
```

… and this sort of stuff is just a fact of life in writing C++ code that is portable between Windows and Linux.

However, if you don’t dynamically link in your day-to-day work, then it’s easy to mess this up. Is it `void LLVM_SUPPORT_ABI bar()` or `LLVM_SUPPORT_ABI void bar()`? Do I have to decorate class members, or just the class? When can I omit it? Do I have to decorate templated code? If you’re statically linking `LLVM_SUPPORT_ABI` preprocesses to nothing, so you can put it literally anywhere and your code will compile. I can’t think of how to do it offhand, and maybe it’s not possible, but if the system could somehow be rigged to fail to compile if you do it wrong, even for statically linked builds that would be nice. If this could be done, it would also help with the transition. At some point you’re going to flip the switch on this and everybody is going to get random breakages for a few days while they hunt down the stragglers.

All I can say is: “good luck, I’ll be rooting for you!”

Thanks,
   Chris Tetreault