[llvm-dev] LLVM-C.dll on MSVC32

Martin Storsjö via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 9 01:49:33 PDT 2021

On Wed, 8 Sep 2021, Saleem Abdulrasool via llvm-dev wrote:

> Hi Andrei,
> LLVM cannot be built as a DLL currently on Windows.

You can't build the full LLVM library, no, but there's a separate thing as
a stop-gap measure for MSVC configurations, LLVM-C.dll, which only exports
the C API. This is done with a script that runs llvm-nm on the list of
symbols and generates a def file on the fly.

> On Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 1:33 AM Andrei Damian via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>       Hello,
> Not sure if this is the right list, but here I go:
> I tried building the LLVM-C.dll for MSVC on 32bits, but the built dll
> doesn't export anything. The x64 version works as expected.
> I also checked the latest release on github (13rc2), and that dll also
> doesn't export anything.

This seems to be a regression since LLVM 8.0.0, I tried it out and posted
an attempt at a fix at https://reviews.llvm.org/D109493.

// Martin