[llvm-dev] [LLD] Relocation overflows and .nv_fatbin

Fāng-ruì Sòng via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 8 13:18:44 PDT 2021

On Wed, Sep 8, 2021 at 12:44 PM Alexander Yermolovich <ayermolo at fb.com> wrote:

> Sorry I wasn't clear. I am not talking about moving .nv_fatbin in its entirety. Although we are also doing it with linker script INSERT AFTER .bss.
> I was referring to re-arranging input sections within the .nv_fatbin output section.
>
> So, we have in .text*
> relocation into .nv_fatbin input section from foo3.o
>
> In output .nv_fatbin without any changes we will have
> foo1.o input section (some cuda code)
> foo2.o input section (some cuda code)
> foo3.o input section (has relocation in to)
>
> With this layout we get relocation overflow.
>
> if we shuffle things
> foo3.o (has relocation in to from .text*)
> foo1.o (some cuda code)
> foo2.o (some cuda code)
>
> It shortens the distance from src to dst fo relocation, and all other cuda sections can grow.
>
> Hopefully, this clarifies things.
> Alex

Reordering output sections is much more effective.

The ELF port has an option --symbol-ordering-file which reorders input
sections within one output section, but I doubt you can find something
as a marker.
The option was originally conceived to improve performance (by
optimizing for instruction cache/iTLB locality), not to mitigate
relocation overflows.
(macOS ld64 has a similar but more powerful -order_file which can
specify input filenames.)

Reordering input sections automatically has some small value but it
would break phase ordering and cause more maintenance burden. So I
very strongly object to that.

--
宋方睿