[llvm-dev] [LLD] Relocation overflows and .nv_fatbin

Alexander Yermolovich via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 8 11:19:29 PDT 2021

Hello

I am seeing relocation overflows from .text section in to .nv_fatbin. The whole thing, nv_fatbin, is a bit of a black box, but there does appear to be only one. We have a downstream patch in LLD, that moves .nv_fatbin section(s) that have relocations in to to the "top". Looking around at what's in .nv_fartbin the rest of the code should be bunch of cuda stuff. So, in theory that can grow, and we shouldn't get any more relocation overflows. At least due to the size of .nv_fatbin.

I was wondering if there is a better way of doing it. Maybe with a linker script? I investigated it, and that answer seems to be no, but I am not an expert in linker scripts.

Thank You
Alex