[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] [RFC] clang support for API information generation in JSON

Zixu Wang via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 6 17:15:43 PDT 2021

> On Sep 1, 2021, at 1:50 PM, Tom Stellard <tstellar at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On 9/1/21 11:40 AM, Zixu Wang wrote:

>>> Would this tool be able to provide the same functionality as tools
>>> like abi-compliance-checker[1] and libabigail[2], that extra ABI/API
>>> information from debuginfo?
>>>
>>> -Tom
>>>
>>> [1] https://github.com/lvc/abi-compliance-checker
>>> [2] https://sourceware.org/libabigail/
>> Hi Tom!
>> I’m not really familiar with those tools but a brief look seems to suggest that they operate on compiled binaries. We propose clang-extract-api to directly work on and extract information from the parsed AST of the header source files so I’m not quite sure how to compare these tools. Debuginfo lives in the compiled binary so clang-extract-api doesn’t look into it. However, anything about the API described in the header file could potentially be extracted.
>> Do you have a specific example of information you want to get from abi-compliance-checker and libabigail?
>
> We have a CI job[1] in the release branch that runs the abi-compliance-checker tool to
> ensure that we don't accidentally change the ABI/API of libclang.so.  Is this something
> your tool could be used for ?
>
> -Tom
>
> [1] https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/release/13.x/.github/workflows/libclang-abi-tests.yml <https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/release/13.x/.github/workflows/libclang-abi-tests.yml>

That job works on a finished build with binary products to check ABI at the binary level. The proposed tool could potentially be used to compare information extracted at the source level (parsed AST). I can’t say that this tool could replace abi-compliance-checker in libclang-abi-tests, but that’s definitely a direction we would like to explore, or enable such checks at different levels/directions.

Zixu