[llvm-dev] Do we need intrinsics for floating-point classification functions?

Sanjay Patel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 2 10:58:05 PDT 2021

Thank you for restarting this proposal. It's a bit more work, but let's
make sure we have a good design, so we don't miss any details.

What optimizations/analysis does this intrinsic enable **in IR** in
strict-FP mode?
If it is only constant folding, we don't need to add an intrinsic. We fold
lots of math library calls with no corresponding LLVM intrinsic under
llvm::ConstantFoldCall().
We also do transforms based on operands/uses of library calls in
SimplifyLibCalls.

So I'm really asking: why do we translate isnan() in clang into something
else in the first place? The backend can lower that call into whatever
suits the target without involving LLVM IR.