[llvm-dev] [RFC] Introduce new call-site attribute

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 1 17:48:47 PDT 2021

The basic problem you're solving makes sense to me, and I agree we need
a good solution.  I'm not quite sure that your propose is the right
starting point though.

The notion of having different ways to encode targets with different
offsets shows up in a bunch of different ways, not just calls, and in
particular, not just the pcRel32 flavor you mention here.  A few other
examples:

  * For an address which whose relative offset is unknown, but whose
    absolute address is known, you can use a 32bit move to materialize
    the address in a register.
  * For relative calls, x86 supports a 16 bit relative version as well.
    Though, I'm not sure this is profitable on modern hardware.
  * With tail calls, you get all the jump variants (8b relative, 16b
    relative, 32b relative, 32b register, 64b register).
  * For data accesses, we have many of the same options.  I think it's
    reasonable to (mostly) start with calls, and ignore the data access
    side of things.

All of these tightly interlock with the relocations available from the
dynamic loader.

I'd previously played with specifying bounds on the absolute addresses
of functions.  (We have some bit of support for that, though I can't
find it in LangRef currently.)  This quickly tripped into implementation
complexity problems, but I didn't see any fundamental reason why e.g.
having both callee and caller functions specified to be within a 1.x GB
region wouldn't allow us to use 32 bit relative calls.

I think we need to phrase this as a set of restrictions on both the
absolute and relative offset of a callee, and then leave it up to
backend to select the optimal lowering.  The codemodel in this world
becomes simply the default set of restrictions for an otherwise
unspecified target address.

All of the above is a really involved way of saving that I think you
need to change your spelling on the attribute a bit.  I think we need to
be able to support fairly arbitrary restrictions on the relative range,
and then leave it up to the code generator which option it actually
picks.  As a strawman, how about the following syntax:

call void @foo() target-address-relative-bound(-2147483648, 2147483647)

OR

declare void @foo() address-absolute-bound(X, X + 100MB)

Philip

p.s. I'm not a linker or loader person, I know just enough about them to
be very dangerous.  If anyone who is actually familiar with relocation
types wants to tell me something is horrible wrong with my proposed
model, please feel free.  :)