[llvm-dev] [EXTERNAL] Re: Question about -flto behavior

Teresa Johnson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 26 16:03:55 PDT 2021

On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 3:55 PM Snider, Todd via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> David,
>

> Thanks for the reply. That makes sense.
>

> A couple of further thoughts … In the LTO implementation that I am working
> on, when -flto is specified to the compiler, the compiler embeds the IR in
> the compiler generated object file. The linker can then read the IR out of
> the incoming object file if LTO is enabled at link time or just ignore the
> IR if LTO is disabled at link time.

I guess this approach gives flexibility to the build at the cost of extra
compile time to go through the whole optimization pipeline including code
generation potentially unnecessarily. Normally in LLVM we don't go through
code generation during an -flto -S or -c compile, and only part of the
optimization pipeline.

> I would agree that having -S write out the IR content for -flto provides a
> good way to see what is being fed into the LTO link in a human readable
> form.
>

> For our LTO implementation, the linker can be told to keep the IR that it
> extracts from the incoming object files. You can then run llvm-dis over the
> extracted IR to see the .ll version.

Note you can emit the final machine code when building with -flto and
linking with lld via -Wl,--lto-emit-asm, in which case the a.out or
specified output file will contain assembly instead of ELF.

Teresa

Teresa Johnson |  Software Engineer |  tejohnson at google.com |