[llvm-dev] Problem with clang optimizer?

Blumenthal, Uri - 0553 - MITLL via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 26 06:39:25 PDT 2021

Ok, I found that confusion comes from the different binaries supplied as "version 13", see below.

Now I am confused.

Does it mean that distributions (Ubuntu on Linux, Macports on MacOS, etc.) took pre-release (aka, still-beta) LLVM/Clang and released it as Clang-13?

Or that LLVM or Clang were patched after being released, without updating the version numbers?

> So, requested Clang, but compiled with GCC???

Godbold actually uses Clang here, "-gcc-toolchain" is just its option to provide GCC installation.

I do not understand the above – that “checkbox-button” seems to be named “All compilation options” for the currently selected compiler/toolchain…?

On the other hand, I’m probably not the main customer of that tool, so my understanding is not crucial. ;-)

Yes, I've managed to reproduce it too on my ubuntu box with "clang-13" package installed:  .  .  .  .  .

But that's not the clang-13 used by me and godbold, tagged as llvmorg-13.0.0 and announced on 4 October 2021. The ubuntu-packaged clang-13 uses e5f2898bc751 tip commit pushed on 27 March 2021, so it's an older version.

I hear you – but what about Mac? Macports Clang-13.0.0 was released only a couple of days ago. I don’t know how to check its commit level, but I strongly doubt it’s as dated as, e.g., Ubuntu release…

If you want to get subject issue fixed, you can use clang-13 from here: https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/releases/tag/llvmorg-13.0.0, for instance, here is apple-darwin version: https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/releases/download/llvmorg-13.0.0/clang+llvm-13.0.0-x86_64-apple-darwin.tar.xz

I do, but I much prefer that Macports maintains “big” packages on my machines, and LLVM-Clang definitely qualify. Thus, I’d rather not track llvm-project on GitHub myself.

Can I hope that the fix Dimitry mentioned, will be in 13.0.1 that will (hopefully, eventually) filter downstream?