[llvm-dev] LLVM Weekly - #408, October 25th 2021
Alex Bradbury via llvm-dev
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 25 10:27:58 PDT 2021
LLVM Weekly - #408, October 25th 2021
If you prefer, you can read a HTML version of this email at
Welcome to the four hundred and eighth issue of LLVM Weekly, a weekly
newsletter (published every Monday) covering developments in LLVM, Clang, and
related projects. LLVM Weekly is brought to you by [Alex
Bradbury](https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-bradbury/). Subscribe to future
issues at <http://llvmweekly.org> and pass it on to anyone else you think may
be interested. Please send any tips or feedback to <asb at asbradbury.org>, or
@llvmweekly or @asbradbury on Twitter.
## News and articles from around the web
Registration is now open for the [2021 LLVM Developers'
Meeting](https://llvm.swoogo.com/2021devmtg/) and the schedule has been
posted. It will be a 4 day online event, Tuesday 16th November 2021 - Friday
19th November 2021.
Krister Walfridsson blogged about [optimisations enabled by
## On the mailing lists
* Ellis Hoag shared an RFC on [adding a lightweight variant of IR
instrumentation profile-guided optimisation
intended to be suitable for PGO on mobile devices.
* Florian Hahn provided an [update on the RFC to add a new set of vector
linking to the current patches under review. He hopes to land them this
* Björn Pettersson followed up on a discussion about non-determinism in
DominatorTree, JumpThreading, and EarlyCSE with a [summary of potential
## LLVM commits
* ThinLTO's caching was moved to the LLVM Support library so it can be used
elsewhere in LLVM. [e678c51](https://reviews.llvm.org/rGe678c5117710).
* An initial draft policy around creating new git repos and granting write
access to them was added.
* A scheduling model was added for Power10.
* An experimental new option for the new pass manager was added,
eagerly-invalidate-analyses. This will decrease maximum memory usage at the
cost of higher compile time by eagerly invalidating function analyses.
* llvm-reduce gained reduction passes to reduce operands to undef/1/0.
* ASM parser support was committed for the CSKY basic integer instruction set
## Clang commits
* A number of tests that are tied to the legacy pass manager were removed.
* It's now possible to run a Clang plugin if specified on the command line
before the main action. [fe66433](https://reviews.llvm.org/rGfe66433fe119).
## Other project commits
* A range of utility functions were added to FIRBuilder.
* LLVM's libc gained implementations of atof, strtof, and strtod.
* A short document was started to record deliberate differences between LD64
and lld-macho. [6b715e9](https://reviews.llvm.org/rG6b715e9c4d9c).
* A "command container" hierarchy was added to LLDB, enabling users to
organise their commands in a hierarchy rather than having to stick to just
top-level commands. [c5011ae](https://reviews.llvm.org/rGc5011aed9c29).
* The new "runtimes" build is now the default way of building libc++.
* The unused parallel-libs project was removed.
More information about the llvm-dev