[llvm-dev] Upcoming change with how libc++, libc++abi and libunwind are being built

Louis Dionne via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 20 09:56:21 PDT 2021

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 1:39 PM Mehdi AMINI <joker.eph at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 9:37 AM Louis Dionne via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 12:45 AM Michael Kruse <llvmdev at meinersbur.de>
>> wrote:

>>> https://buildkite.com/llvm-project/libcxx-ci.
>>>
>>> I didn't know. Good that there is systematic testing, but I am a bit
>>> concerned about the fracturing of the CI infrastructure (Buildbot,
>>> Green dragon, GitHub actions, Buildkite, ...)
>>>

>> For libc++/libc++abi/libunwind, it's actually quite simple. There's
>> exactly one place to look, and it's BuildKite. And it runs systematically
>> on all changes.
>>

> Did you find a solution for having blamelist and blame emails on
> BuildKite?

No, but I haven't tried. My experience so far has been that I've never had
the need for a blamelist. Since we test everything pre-commit, you always
know when one of your patch fails because you see it before it's been
committed, in Phabricator. Actual breakage on main is incredibly rare
nowadays and it pretty much only happens when someone (usually myself) is
too keen on checking something in before CI is finished (oops!). There's
never a lot of suspicious commits on main since the last build, so this
isn't a problem we've encountered.

I guess your experience can vary based on the commit traffic to the project
and how diligent people are at testing everything pre-commit, of course.

Louis