[llvm-dev] Question about -flto behavior

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 18 14:20:38 PDT 2021

Yeah, sounds expected to me - flto produces object files that aren't really
object files - instead they're LLVM IR (bitcode) that the linker
identifies, then calls back into LLVM to link the IR, optimize on that IR,
then produce object code/assembly/whatever).

So the "assembly" form of an "object" (really LLVM bitcode) file is LLVM
textual IR.