[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] Demystifying the byte type

Johannes Doerfert via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Oct 17 22:31:27 PDT 2021

Hi George,

I only made it through part 1 for now but I figured I might forget if I
don't reply directly:

 > Under the untyped memory model, we need to accept that every
load/store has an implicit |ptrtoint|/|inttoptr| attached to it.

This is stated but I don't see it. Rather, a store of a pointer makes
the pointer potentially escape (also see below).
Escaped pointers could show up as integers (among other things). So
escaping a pointer (by any means) does an implicit
ptrtoint/inttoptr but not necessarily the store or the load. The
transformation shown below that statement doesn't
contradict this view and SROA is still legal. All that happened is that
SROA has first determined and then made
it explicit that the pointer (here %in) did not escape during the round
trip through %mem. If, for example, %mem would
have been passed to an unknown function SROA would not have done this
transformation because %in could now have
escaped through %mem. If %mem was casted to int and then loaded SROA
would have made the escaping use explicit through
an ptrtoint: https://godbolt.org/z/PG3fj7qe4
Long story short, if you store a pointer (or cast it to an integer, or
compare it other than some special ways) it might
escape and as anything could happen to it it looses its provenance. If
you can show it doesn't escape, no provenance is
lost.

 > An alternative is to say that all pointer stores escape, which again
has severe performance consequences and again do not align with all LLVM
optimizations.

What optimizations do not treat a pointer stored away as an escaping
use? That sounds like a problem.
[FWIW, I'm only aware of the Attributor but it ensures that all uses of
the store are instead visited which makes this sound again (no escape
can happen through the store).]

~ Johannes