[llvm-dev] Incorrect Cortex-R4/R4F/R5 ProcessorModel in ARM.td

Peter Smith via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 14 09:23:35 PDT 2021

Hello,

I know just about enough to find the right file to describe the scheduling model, but I don't know much about the details myself. I'm hoping that one of my colleagues or someone knowing about scheduling in general can help/correct what I'm writing below.

>From what I glean from:
https://llvm.org/devmtg/2016-09/slides/Absar-SchedulingInOrder.pdf
https://llvm.org/devmtg/2014-10/Slides/Estes-MISchedulerTutorial.pdf

The basics of superscalar modelling are the IssueWidth

def CortexR52Model : SchedMachineModel {
  let MicroOpBufferSize = 0;  // R52 is in-order processor
  let IssueWidth = 2;         // 2 micro-ops dispatched per cycle
  let LoadLatency = 1;        // Optimistic, assuming no misses
  let MispredictPenalty = 8;  // A branch direction mispredict, including PFU
  let CompleteModel = 0;      // Covers instructions applicable to cortex-r52.
}

I would expect the forwarding information to be useful as to dual issue certain pairs the dependencies would need to be available.

// Forwarding information - based on when an operand is read
def : ReadAdvance<R52Read_ISS, 0>;
def : ReadAdvance<R52Read_EX1, 1>;
def : ReadAdvance<R52Read_EX2, 2>;
def : ReadAdvance<R52Read_F0, 0>;
def : ReadAdvance<R52Read_F1, 1>;
def : ReadAdvance<R52Read_F2, 2>;

>From https://llvm.org/devmtg/2016-09/slides/Absar-SchedulingInOrder.pdf assuming it still holds (5 years ago)
LLVM Scheduler -What's missing?
* Instructions with slot constraints
** Cannot issue in second slot - specification and pickNode changes
** Cannot issue with any other - micro-ops
** Cannot issue with specific another - reliance on resource constraint (not adequate)
* Inter-lock constraint modelling
** Cannot slow down previous instruction
* First-half, second-half and in-stage forwarding
** Further divide pipeline stages
* Variadic instructions
** SchedPredicate, SchedVariant - an alternate compact representation necessary

It may be that more complex superscalar constraints cannot be modelled.

Hope that helps

Peter