[llvm-dev] Consolidating copies of google/benchmark in the repo (Was: Proposal: introduce dependency on abseil when building benchmarks)

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 13 06:45:39 PDT 2021

On Tue, 12 Oct 2021 at 21:20, Mircea Trofin <mtrofin at google.com> wrote:

> One thing that does come to mind, llvm-test-suite can be cloned separately
> from llvm-project/llvm. We'd need to point to llvm (or just
> llvm/utils/benchmark), and require that it be available on bots, for
> example. Does that cause an issue for anyone?

Because libc++ is now in the monorepo, unless it needs a different
(patched?) version from llvm's main one, it should not need its own copy.

AFAIK, the usual benchmark infrastructure compiles clang on demand and then
use that on the test-suite repo. However, that doesn't mean the repos are
on the same machine. For example, if you compile clang on a larger cluster,
install+pack and send to a more focued machine to do the
single-threaded-single-use-no-services benchmarking.

So, I'd say it should be safe to merge libc++ and llvm one, but not
necessarily the test-suite one.

If we don't have any local patches on those, we could also just clone it
from some known hash at runtime, or $deity forbid, as a submodule. :D

cheers,
--renato