[llvm-dev] Instcombine-code-sinking increases the value’s live range

Chuang-Yu Cheng via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 13 02:20:38 PDT 2021

Answer by myself :P

The original input pattern is as below:

```c
local memory
for (...) {
  a function (has side effect) which copies from global to local memory
  access data in local memory and do compute
}

if (...)
  return;
store the computed result back.
```

If the for loop is fully unrolled, and the computing part is sunk to
the basicblock which stores the computed result back, then the backend
compiler needs to find some places (registers or memory) to store
these copied data.

I've tested with aarch64 and amdgcn, in the test pattern both targets
will spill the data to memory.

In the for-loop If we can directly copy instead of using a copy
function, both targets can generate better basicblock layouts.
(aarch64: "Machine code sinking (machine-sink)" pass, amdgcn: "Code
sinking (sink)" pass)