[llvm-dev] Proposal: introduce dependency on abseil when building benchmarks

Mircea Trofin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 7 19:18:59 PDT 2021

On Thu, Oct 7, 2021 at 6:57 PM Matthias Braun <matthiasb at fb.com> wrote:

> > On Sep 30, 2021, at 10:07 AM, Mircea Trofin via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> >
> > TL;DR; When either of LLVM_BUILD_BENCHMARKS or LIBCXX_INCLUDE_BENCHMARKS
> are enabled, as well as for llvm-test-suite, a dependency to abseil would
> either be auto-downloaded by the build system, or need to be
> user-specifiable, or provided in the source tree.
>
> FWIW: I'm not a fan of auto-downloading stuff. That's just a sneaky to add
> a dependency that sure may not give trouble to the users where the
> auto-download succeeds. But many companies have their build farms isolated
> from the internet and security people would not be happy if we just
> download a blob of code from a separate project that can change somewhat
> unnoticed by users of LLVM.
>
> Can't we copy the thing into the LLVM repository (aka vendoring) like we
> copied the benchmark library? I feel that things become a different story
> when we actually add dependencies...

That is one of the options available in the proposed change in the
benchmark project upstream (the 'provided in the source tree' option). So
if we decided, in LLVM, that we wanted to update the forks we have of the
benchmark project (assuming the other issues mentioned on this thread were
resolved), then it's up to us to set it up like you described.