[llvm-dev] Disabling optimizations in clang/llvm for specified regions in code

Michael Kruse via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 4 18:40:21 PDT 2021

llvm.licm.disable would need to be exposed via a pragma. If you would
like to contribute a patch doing that, look for the LoopHint attribute
and into CGLoopInfo.cpp. The consistent syntax would be `#pragma clang
loop licm(disable)`. Note that the GVN pass also does some kind of
invariant code motion.

However, I think the more robust approach would be we extract the loop
into a different function and disable some optimizations in the
functions via function attributes, such as optnone or "target-cpu"
which would be set via a Clang equivalent to `#pragma GCC
optimize("...")`, such as `#pragma clang optimize("-fno-licm")`. This
is because metadata can get lost during some passes while function
attributes are not forgotten that easily. Neither "#pragma clang
optimize" nor "-fno-licm" currently exist, but at least the former is
a frequently requested feature.

Michael