[llvm-dev] Function register clobber propagation

Colin McEwan via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 30 07:26:39 PST 2021

Hi all,

Does LLVM currently have any way to exploit known register usage of already-compiled callee functions within a module to reduce register pressure in calling functions? GCC does this, but I haven't seen any sign of this being done (having checked on a couple of different target architectures), and can't find any mention of such optimisation in the source.

Have I overlooked something? Or is there a rationale for not attempting this? (Such as limiting potential parallelism in compiling a module)

Thanks!

--
Colin