[llvm-dev] Complex intrinsics proposal and roundtable

Krzysztof Parzyszek via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 29 07:18:43 PST 2021

A while back, when this idea came up for the first time, I was trying to argue in favor of complex integer support (since Hexagon has instructions that do complex arithmetic on integers).  I don’t understand the  argument that the integer result has a different type from the inputs: the standard arithmetic in C/C++ doesn’t change result types, but overflows can produce UB.  The complex arithmetic could do the same. Are you talking about having to do a full-precision arithmetic before producing the final result (to avoid these overflows on intermediate values)?

--
Krzysztof Parzyszek  kparzysz at quicinc.com<mailto:kparzysz at quicinc.com>   AI tools development